Sacred Heart of Jesus
WHAT IS IT?
The Enthronement of the Sacred Heart in one’s home is an expression of devotion to the Sacred Heart that involves the formal placing, or “enthronement,” of an image or statue of the Sacred Heart in a place of prominence. It is a way of daily reminding the family of the role of Christ in their lives and, combined with a consecration to the Sacred Heart lived out daily, is a source of manifold blessings.
"By the Enthronement of the Sacred Heart, we link the tabernacle of our parish church to our home, inviting Our Lord to be our constant and most intimate Companion. The Enthronement is a way of life. It means that Christ is King of our hearts, and that we desire Him to be present with us always. By the Enthronement, we signify our desire to make our hearts and our homes holy, to sanctify our lives in every aspect."
- Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke
See further details below.
WHY THE SACRED HEART? >>>
It is a fulfillment of our Lord’s request to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque in the 1670’s which stated, “I will bless every place in which an image of my Heart is exposed and honored.” It was begun by Father Mateo Crowley-Boevey, a priest of the Congregation of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. His goal was to establish the Devotion to the Sacred Heart among families, to strengthen them in their lives together, and to bring them closer to God. The image of the Sacred Heart can serve as the focal point for the family’s prayer times together. By honoring Jesus in this way, the family members acknowledge the presence of Jesus in their midst. They turn to him often with their prayers and love and ask for help in times of trouble.
WHAT DOES IT INVOLVE? >>>
The enthronement involves a preparation stage and the ceremony itself. Each family will schedule a day for one of our priests (likely Father Maas) and two Legionaries to come out for the ceremony. On the day of, the priest will bless the image chosen, lead prayers in the home, and direct the family to pray an Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart.
A certificate will also be provided noting that the enthronement has taken place. The family may also choose to have their house blessed by Father during the same visit. The preparation stage is typically three or nine days and involves the family praying certain prayers daily, up until the enthronement day. All of these will be provided in a preparation packet.
WHERE DO I GET AN IMAGE? >>>
The family may buy whatever image or statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus that they’d like. They may also have an image of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in addition to the Sacred Heart. More information will be available where they can be purchased. The Legion of Mary will also make a few different images available free of charge.
WHEN SHOULD WE SCHEDULE IT? >>>
A day of significance for the family, any Sunday, or any day that the family can attend Mass together prior is fitting for the enthronement. We will try our best to schedule a day when a priest is available to perform the enthronement .
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE INVOLVED? >>>
It is best to take advantage of the graces offered by daily turning to our Lord as a family in prayer! Nothing is “required” beyond this, but it is fitting to renew the consecration to the Sacred Heart yearly, either on the day it was initially done, or a fitting feast day, such as the Sacred Heart, Christmas, Easter, etc .
DOES IT COST ANYTHING? / Interested? >>>
No! The only expense is obtaining an image of the Sacred Heart if the family doesn’t wish to use the free ones provided by the Legion of Mary.
OKAY, WE ARE INTERESTED!
The St. Ignatius Legion of Mary is promoting the Enthronement. To receive materials to prepare your families and homes, and to schedule a day for one of our priests to come and perform the Enthronement at your home,
please email Father Maas at email@example.com, or
sign up and call St Ignatius Rectory at 610-678-3767
The Holy Guardian Angels Legion of Mary is also promoting the Enthronement. To receive materials to prepare your families and homes, and to schedule a day for one of our priests to come and perform the Enthronement at your home,
please email Father George Ababio, sign up and call HGA Rectory at +1 610 921 2729
12 promises Christ made to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque concerning the devotion to His Sacred Heart.
1. “I will give them all the graces necessary for their state in life.”
2. “I will give peace in their families.”
3. “I will console them in all their troubles.”
4. “They shall find in my heart an assured refuge during life and especially at the hour of death.”
5. “I will pour abundant blessings on all their undertakings.”
6. “Sinners shall find in my heart the source and infinite Ocean of mercy.”
7. “Tepid souls shall become fervent.”
8. “Fervent souls shall speedily rise to great perfection.”
9. “I will bless the homes in which the image of my Sacred Heart shall be exposed and honored.”
10. “I will give to priests the power to touch the most hardened hearts.”
11. “Those who propagate this devotion shall have their name written in my heart and it shall never be effaced.”
12. “The all-powerful love of my Heart will grant to all those who shall receive communion on the first Friday of nine consecutive months the grace of final repentance; they shall not die under my displeasure, nor without receiving the sacraments; my heart shall be their assured refuge at the last hour.”
Let us offer our broken hearts to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.